Paul Hodgson - Senior Engineering Manager
BEng, MSc, PhD, CEng, FIET
An intelligent, committed and driven Engineering Manager with an impeccable career leading staff to deliver vital, multi-disciplinary railway projects through each lifecycle stage. Providing clear direction to teams to achieve their full potential. An ability to communicate concisely across all levels. Focused work ethic to deliver required outputs.
- With a PhD, (see qualifications below), it gives me an excellent grounding for discussions and problem-solving challenges.
- Motivational Engineering Manager who has coached 2 engineers to chartered status.
- 15 years of engineering management experience on rail projects for contractors, consultants and clients.
- Collaborative, versatile and focused Engineering Manager with a hands-on approach.
- Supportive, reliable and independent Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) who realises the importance of making people feel valued.
Fastidious, compassionate and decisive professional, passionate about doing things to the optimum level.
As Contractor’s Engineering Manager (CEM) for the Network Rail National Power SCADA Renewals Programme (NSRP) I provided the technical interface to Network Rail Operations on procedural aspects of the system delivery and operation. This included an assessment of electrical control operational processes and interfaces to Route Control and Traffic Management. This work featured in the development of safety arguments for the operational boundaries of the control system.
When working on the West Coast Route Modernisation Programme (WCRM) I worked with Network Rail Operations in order to deliver a blockade programme of works on the Nuneaton to Coventry line. This was associated with maintaining critical (freight) train movements to ensure an engineering solution could be identified to overcome operational constraints.
Projects & Engineering
I have extensive, senior engineering management experience working on multi-disciplinary railway projects since the late 1990s – key roles including;
- West Coast Main Line (WCML) Route Section 12 upgrade Scope Manager.
- Engineering Manager for Rail Schemes development as part of the BAA led TWA Application for Stansted 2nd Runway and Heathrow 3rd Runway expansion programmes.
- Engineering Project Manager for the Crewe to Carlisle Line Speed Enhancement (LSE) scheme.
- Nuneaton remodelling and LSE Engineering Manager, involving the second largest signalling commissioning on the entire WCML Programme.
- Network Rail Designated Project Engineer for Old Oak Common and Paddington approaches remodelling as part of Crossrail on-network works.
- Contractor’s Engineering Manager (CEM) on the Network Rail National Power SCADA renewals programme.
- Risk-based interfacing works definition/agreement as GF Tomlinson CEM with Network Rail.
These roles have covered wide-ranging lifecycle elements from GRIP 2 High Level Option development to GRIP 6 and 7 scheme commissioning and handover. I have led engineering teams in SCADA, OLE and 3rd Rail electrification, lineside power, signalling, permanent way, structures and civils.
As well as ‘core’ single discipline development and multi-discipline integration engineering delivery, the work has necessitated wide-ranging aspects including, rail operations (including passenger flows and timetabling), cost modelling and evaluation, human factors and ergonomics, training and system safety assurance.
Safety & Assurance
A de rigueur part of the role and responsibilities of the Project positions outlined above demanded provision of assurance deliverables as an integral part of the role.
As CEM on the National Power SCADA renewals programme I led the system safety assurance works. This was a multifaceted exercise and I conceived the analysis framework and wrote the key deliverables in support of demonstrating the system safety aspects. This included the System Definition, SIL Derivation, SIL Achievement and Hazard Analysis. The novel approach that I developed was commended by the Independent Safety Assessor.
I developed a Construction Assurance approach documented in a Manual, Plans and Modules for incorporation in the SPL IMS and for Project delivery to best practice construction standards.