Nigel Barber - Communications/Stakeholder Specialist
A former journalist and member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR), I have almost 30 years of communications/public relations experience, 23 of those in the rail industry.
Part of that time included seven years with Railtrack/Network Rail, heading up the Midland’s region’s corporate affairs function, before becoming Head of Communications for the West Coast Route Modernisation programme from 2002 to 2004, helping to lead cross industry communications, culminating in the successful introduction of Virgin’s flagship 125mph London-Manchester service.
In 2004 I left Network Rail to work as a freelance communications specialist, forming my own consultancy providing expert stakeholder management/communications support and guidance to a wide variety of clients, both within and outside of the rail industry.
Communications & Change Management
- Communications/stakeholder management for the Rail Electrification Alliance in support of the delivery of Network Rail's East Coast Main Line Power Supply Upgrade Programme, Phases 1 and 2, including delivery of internal and external communications activity.
- Creation/implementation of the internal communications strategy for the East West Rail Alliance, in support of its delivery of the £1bn East West rail programme.
- Communications/stakeholder management for the Staffordshire Alliance in support of Network Rail’s £250 million Stafford Area Improvements Programme, including delivery of all stakeholder/community relations activity, internal communications, branding guidance/corporate (Network Rail) compliance, photographic management and ongoing evaluation.
- Communications/stakeholder management for the GNGE Alliance, a £280 million programme of essential renewals on the line from Peterborough to Doncaster via Spalding, Sleaford, Lincoln and Gainsborough, including production/implementation of dedicated communications strategy.
- Provision of communications guidance/support to Network Rail in relation to the East Coast performance improvements.
- Production and delivery of marketing and communications strategy for the Institution of Railway Operators.
- Co-ordination of stakeholder management support for Arriva’s successful bid for the CrossCountry franchise (2006/7) and consultation support for contract mobilisation.
- Production of communications strategy for Phase 3A of the Manchester Metrolink extension for GMPTE and its delivery partner, Parsons Brinckerhoff.
- Provision of communications support to Mott MacDonald and indirectly the Department for Transport for the Intercity Express Programme (IEP), including the creation of a strategic communications plan, core brief, Q and A and development of communications protocols for the programme.
- Stakeholder Management on the Edinburgh Tram project, dealing specifically with consultation for the design phase of the project, including direct liaison with stakeholders and co-ordination/delivery of presentations.